So many times lately I have heard people talking or teaching on how to hear from God; folks are getting hungry for the relationship they need with Him, so they are asking this very important question…How can I hear what God is saying to me?
First of all, God (the Holy Spirit) are speaking to you always, every day. He can only have the sort of relationship with you that you want or He will seem silent, when we don’t turn aside to hear. We seem to think that He has to speak to you in an audible voice saying, “Do this or don’t do that.” But the reality is that He speaks several languages (ways) in different tones. Sometimes He is quiet and persistent when we have to stop and really listen, sometimes He speaks quite loudly, or through others, sometimes through the verses in the Bible, and other times by things really out of the box.
In the Old Testament the Lord obviously spoke pretty directly to the prophets and kings, and others*, but they didn’t have the Holy Spirit. We now have the fullness of Him to direct our way, to convict us of sin, righteousness, and judgement, and He will be our teacher to guide us. – John 16:13 The Holy Spirit will use anything to open our hearts to hear Him when we have ignored the subtle nuances of His calling; our kids, our pets, jobs, cars, relationships, money – anything that gets our attention. Hopefully, your heart is hungry and you desire to hear His voice – listening continually because you want that kind of relationship with the One that loves you the most.
*”Then He said, “Go out, and stand on the mountain before the LORD.” And behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice.” 1 Kings 19:11-12
Think on these things:
- Jesus used parables to teach the common people because they couldn’t understand directly, so He had to speak more in agricultural terms or things of the day, things they could understand.
- Despite any neglect on your part towards the kind of relationship God wants with you, He is persistent and will never leave you or forsake you.
- Ask for forgiveness to restore communication between you and Him.
- Be aware of the subtle ways He is speaking to you, – through pictures, music, feelings (yes, they are good when perspectively balanced), poetry, smells, and a multitude of other ways.
- He is always personal in everything about you, He is diverse in all the intimate callings of His voice…the whole Bible is a continuing love story between the Lord and His people, even you.
- He wants you to have an abundant life, full of hope and prosperity…our perception of who He is can distort that reality, not seeing God as the loving and good Father that He is.
- Ask Him for what you want – He will answer you! -“And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:13 “So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.” Luke 11:9